March is Women’s History Month and March 8th is International Women’s Day…a global day dedicated to celebrating the social, economic, cultural, and political achievements of women throughout the world. It’s also a day that encourages action to accelerate gender parity.
It’s hard to believe that in 2019 women are still lagging behind in almost every category…leadership, pay, and overall gender equality. The World Economic Forum predicted that we wouldn’t achieve global gender parity until 2095, and the gender gap wouldn’t close completely until 2133.
Not only does this defy basic common sense, it defies good business sense. Statistics don’t lie! The companies that produce financially at the top 20% report that 27% of their leaders are women. In contrast, the bottom 20% of financial performers report only 19% of women in leadership roles.
Across industries, countries, and companies, we know that more female leadership leads to stronger, healthier, and more profitable organizations. Women have a positive impact on culture, productivity, results, relationships, collaboration, teamwork, motivating and developing others, spearheading change and innovation, taking initiative, establishing stretch goals, and practicing self-development and personal growth.
Here are 10 Ways to Woman UP! on International Women’s Day:
- Be a mentor to a female colleague or young woman
- Join a professional women’s group or chamber of commerce
- Nominate a female colleague for an award or recommend her on LinkedIn
- Increase your visibility and attend a new networking event
- Encourage a co-worker (or yourself) to go for a promotion or stretch goal
- Take a risk and do something outside your comfort zone like running for public office
- Remember to write your successes in your Brag Book and practice your elevator pitch
- Grab a seat at the table and don’t be afraid to be the only woman in the room
- Support a non-profit dedicated to elevating women and girls
- Invest in yourself and attend a professional development event like Women ON Point: Next Level Leadership
In honor of this special month, and to celebrate women everywhere, I am excited to announce a special 20% discount in the month of March for anyone who wants to purchase Woman UP! merchandise. Use the promo code Womensday to shop at the Woman UP! store.
Make International Women’s Day the perfect day to Woman UP!