Happy New Year! Not only is this the start of a new year, but also…
Happy New Year! Not only is this the start of a new year, but also the start of a new decade. If you’re like most people, you’re making resolutions and thinking about how to make this year (and this decade) the best yet…and career-related resolutions often top the list.
I’ve been a career coach for a long time, and every January I am bombarded with new clients seeking to change careers, start a new career, look for a bigger or better job, open a business, get a promotion, get back to work or get unstuck.
My gift is to help make your resolutions a reality. In addition to my Top 6 Job Seeking Tips below, I am offering my proven, online 7-Step Job Search Success System (Self-Starter Package) for only $497 to the first 10 people who sign up using the “NEWYEARSGIFT” special code. That’s a $200 savings!
This is a $200 gift to yourself to pull on those big-girl panties and take control of your career in 2020. Don’t wait too long…now is the time to be proactive and take action. Take a quick peek at what you get.
In the meantime, here are my Top 6 Job Seeking Tips to get you started.
- Master Your Mindset – a healthy and positive mindset is the foundation for everything you do and is the difference between struggling and succeeding in a job search. Commit to keeping a gratitude journal and a brag book everyday and filling it with lots of appreciation, little wins, good news, kind emails, motivational messages and mantras, inspirational quotes and more.
- Create a Rockstar Resume – the goal of a resume is to get the interview, and your resume is never going to achieve that goal if it reads like a boring job description. Highlight your successes, accomplishments, achievements, awards, recognitions, results, and outcomes and customize the resume for each opportunity.
- Optimize Your Online Presence – your online presence has the power to catapult or kill your job search and LinkedIn is a MUST! Have a professional headshot, a complete and accurate profile, multiple recommendations, more than 500 connections, include plenty of buzz words and be active on LinkedIn every day.
- Practice Your Pitch & Presentation – just because you’re witty at a cocktail party or have the “gift of gab” doesn’t mean your Elevator Pitch and interviewing answers are ready to go. Script out what you want to say and practice, practice, practice. Most people stumble and struggle when it comes to talking about themselves…practice will boost your confidence.
- Do Your Homework – there is no excuse for not being a fully informed job seeker today. Research the position, the company, the industry, and the people interviewing you. This critical information will help inform the questions you ask, and make it seem like you’re already a part of the team.
- Network Like a Ninja – your network is your network, and networking is still the most successful job search strategy with a 75-80% success rate and 90% for executives. Not only can the people in your network be stellar references, but they can also make recommendations, forward your resume to the prime decision-makers, and alert you to new opportunities coming down the pipeline otherwise known as the “hidden job market.” Remember that 80% of job opening are never listed or posted on the major job sites. You need inside information and people advocating for you in order to compete in today’s job market.
The festivities are over, and now it’s time to Woman UP! and shift your focus and attention to YOU…your priorities, your goals and your dreams for this year.
Happy New Year and I sincerely hope this is YOUR year to Woman UP! Please let me know if there is anything I can do to help your professional dreams come true.