The idea of “making history” can feel daunting and overwhelming. It’s true that we’re not…
March is Women’s History Month and March 8th is International Women’s Day…a global day dedicated to celebrating the social, economic, cultural, and political achievements of women throughout the world. It’s also a day that encourages action to accelerate gender parity.
Woman UP! is also helping you celebrate with some exciting offers on merchandise and professional development (see below)…because every day is a good day to celebrate WOMEN!
It’s hard to believe that in 2018 women are still lagging behind in almost every category…leadership, pay, and overall gender equality. The World Economic Forum predicted that we wouldn’t achieve global gender parity until 2095, and the gender gap wouldn’t close completely until 2133.
Staggering statistics in a Harvard Business Review article reveal the rapid decline of women as they move up in an organization. More than half of all employees are women at the lowest levels, but that number drops off significantly at each successively higher level: women make up 53% of new hires, 37% of supervisors, 30% of managers, 26% of vice presidents, 14% of senior executives, and 3% of CEOs.
Not only does this defy basic common sense, it defies good business sense. Statistics don’t lie! The companies that produce financially at the top 20% report that 27% of their leaders are women. In contrast, the bottom 20% of financial performers report only 19% of women in leadership roles.
Across industries, countries, and companies, we know that more female leadership leads to stronger, healthier, and more profitable organizations. Women have a positive impact on culture, productivity, results, relationships, collaboration, teamwork, motivating and developing others, spearheading change and innovation, taking initiative, establishing stretch goals, and practicing self-development and personal growth.
Here are 10 Ways to Woman UP! on International Women’s Day:
- Be a mentor to a female colleague or young woman
- Join a professional women’s group or chamber of commerce
- Nominate a female colleague for an award or recommend her on LinkedIn
- Increase your visibility and attend a new networking event
- Encourage a co-worker (or yourself) to go for that promotion or plumb assignment
- Take a risk and do something outside your comfort zone like running for public office
- Remember to write your successes in your Brag Book and practice your elevator pitch
- Grab a seat at the table and don’t be afraid to be the only woman in the room
- Shop at the Woman UP! store and help support Empower Leadership Academy for Girls
- Attend a professional development event like Women ON Point: Next Level Leadership
Women ON Point is strategically designed to help women take their leadership skills to the Next Level, and make a positive impact on their organizations. The next leadership summit is at the Hyatt Regency Minneapolis on March 28-30 and then at Hyatt in Denver on September 19-21. Feel free to visit our website at www.womenonpointleadership.com to learn more, see video testimonials, and read success stories.
In honor of this special month, and to celebrate women everywhere, I am excited to announce a special 20% discount in the month of March to any woman who wants to attend Women ON Point or purchase any Woman UP! merchandise. Use the promo code womensday to shop at the Woman UP! store or contact me directly (firstname.lastname@example.org) for the special Women ON Point offer and I will happily help you celebrate Women’s History Month in a big way!!